This document describes how to live-upgrade a Vespa instance.
Use this procedure to upgrade without disruption to read or write traffic.
- Before upgrading
If upgrading to a new major version,
first upgrade to the latest version on the current major,
then make sure there are no deprecation warnings when building and deploying the application
- Also make sure to
nodes as part of the procedure
Redundancy: for data availability,
there must be capacity to take one node per cluster out of service at the time.
This procedure relies on that.
If the clusters have redundancy=1, or searchable-copies=1,
some data is not available (reduced coverage) during the upgrade
To reduce node downtime, download the new Vespa version to all hosts in advance
- Upgrade config servers
- Upgrade all other nodes one by one
- for each of the other nodes in the system:
- Stop Vespa services on the node
- Install the new Vespa version
- Start Vespa services on the node
- Wait until the node is fully up before doing the next node -
metrics/interfaces to be used to evaluate if the next node can be stopped:
When 0, all buckets are in sync
- Check if a node is up using the